Sunday, March 15, 2015

March BHB Mani Swap

Who is ready for Spring?  Well, I'm ready for summer, I've already pulled out the NEONS!!  Read on for my inspiration and how I put this mani together!

anivc
Fun Floral Mani

So, it was mani swap time in my group of awesome nail friends!  This time I was paired with Heidi from @crooked_mani on Instagram.  Go give her page a look, she's got some really beautiful manis!

For this month's swap, we both chose neons to recreate.  Seems Heidi is just as ready for warm weather as I am!  Heidi chose my Pipe Dream Polish water marble and she did a fantastic job with her recreation in the pic below (originals on left, recreations on right).

Mani Swap!  Originals on left, recreations on right

For my recreation, I pulled out colors from the Pipe Dream Polish A Night In Vegas Cremes collection.  I used On The List, Happy Hour, VIP Pass, and High Roller.

L-R: OPI Nail Envy, Sinful Colors Snow Me White, Pipe Dream Polish On The List, MPolish black prototype, PDP Happy Hour, Qtica nail growth stimulator, PDP VIP Pass, PDP High Roller, KBShimmer Clearly On Top

I decided to try a new base from Qtica designed to strengthen and grow natural nails.  I received it as an extra when I ordered from Zoya.  I used one coat on my natural nail, then used a coat of OPI Nail Envy over top.  At the time, I was hoping to see the nails on my cindy hand thrive and grow to mirror my long nails on my swatch hand.  You'll see the flaw in this theory at the end of this post.

I painted two coats of Sinful Colors Snow Me White over my base, and then when that was dry I started sponging.  I dabbed the four PDP polishes on a dry latex-free cosmetic sponge and then dabbed them over each nail.  I wasn't really going for gradient, I wanted some white patches to show through, but I put a bit too much on the sponge, so I just went with whatever effect occurred.

Sponging with polish

I thought this was a pretty good starting point.  I didn't want the colors to be too rich, so I just stuck with one pass of sponging.  If you want more vibrant colors, a second or third pass would be best.

Sponging over a white base, pre-topcoat

I picked out a couple of images that I thought were close to what Heidi used for her stamping.  I ended up pulling my Pueen plate 65 and MoYou London Pro XL plate 10.

Pueen Plate 65 from Stamping Buffet Set

MoYou London Pro XL 10 

I used the black prototype from MPolish again for this since it is so opaque.  I had much better luck with it this time.  It just worked very well with these two plates and my BPS XL squishy stamper.  I used a good bit of pressure when I rolled and picked up the images.


mpolish-black
Daylight shot

On my cindy hand, I tried to isolate the leaves image from the Pueen plate, which I succeeded in doing, but then my double stamping over top didn't come out so hot.... lesson learned, use a different color, lol.  I never said I was a logical thinker.  :-p  I topped all of my nails with a coat of KBShimmer Clearly On Top quick dry topcoat.


Daylight shot of Cindy

And I caught a macro of one of my nails, just 'cause.

mpolish-black
I love macros!

Since bright wasn't enough for me (lol, of course it was, but let's bring on the bling!), I grabbed my ILNP My Private Rainbow L+S (linear and scattered).  It had a pretty subtle effect over this mani, which was quite alright with me.  I just used one coat over top, and then topped it again with KBShimmer Clearly On Top.


pipe-dream-polish-anivc
Mani topped with ILNP My Private Rainbow L+S


pipe-dream-polish-anivc
Sunlight shot

pipe-dream-polish-anivc
More sunlight macros!

So, the flaw in my theory.  I neglected to take into account the possibility of a devastating break on my swatch hand.  Which of course, happened.  A NAILTASTROPHE!  Seriously, this was just one more thing that I didn't need to deal with that morning.  Thank you drawer, you could have just opened when I pulled on you instead of snapping my nail.

I knew this was inevitable, but it doesn't hurt any less!

So I offered a one-finger salute to the drawer that ruined my happy nail family, as well as my dear middle fingernail that decided to betray her sisters.  What a bitch.  I considered letting her be to feel very inferior to her family.  But I'm not heartless.  So I did the unthinkable and chopped all the rest down.  I was so sad.


Dear Drawer: Fuck you very much, sir.

So this was a bit of a setback in my nail journey, but one that is not unheard of.  So I'll just deal with it, and maybe try to will my nails to grow faster so I don't have to look at these nubs.  Which are, laughably, the length that I used to keep my acrylics at so many years ago.  Well, except for that middle finger....

How do you deal with a major break on your picture hand?  Any suggestions besides tender loving care?

32 comments:

  1. I had to make the chop recently too. I feel your pain. However the bright neons and flowers are great. I'm ready for spring/summer/warm weather! It snowed here, again, today. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it snowed here too... I'm so over it! Lol. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Need to file mine, as long nails and my 6 week old granddaughter don't mix. But this mani is fricking awesome x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, usually long nails and my two year old don't get along either... Lol

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful. I planned on doing a mani like this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one stunning mani!!! I'm wearing ANIVC right now :D I'm sorry for your nailtastrophe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Such cool colorful mani. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, give that drawer the communication finger! It still looks great though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! Super jealous you have the Pipe Dream neons!! haha So sorry about the break. It's never fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I'm just nursing this nub back to health, lol.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous re-creations! So sorry for your loss :( When a nail breaks like that on my photo hand, I super glue it down and proceed to swatch like crazy to have about a week's worth of stuff, then I'll see how long my glue job will last before it completely rips off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your macros are gorgeous! Those polishes are stunners. I love the whole look! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh that break broke my heart. I'm sorry it happened. I love the mani though, that's one of my favorite floral plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! ;-) Thank you! I love this plate too!

      Delete
  11. I broke both my pointer fingers recently - it sucks. But your mani is still gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So bright and beautiful! That sucks about the broken nail. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Meh, it'll grow back. That's what I keep telling myself, lol. ;-)

      Delete
  13. Ugh, I hate it when that happens!! But the mani is stunning and I love the subtle holo sparkle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love how the neon base looks, almost like a watercolor but brighter! When one of my nails break on my swatch hand, I try to see if it's fixable with the Orly Nail Rescue kit. If not, I file it down as best as I can and wait a week for it to grow. That's why it's good to have some mani/nail art pics in storage just in case, that way you have something to post while your nail grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nadia! Thanks for the tips, I actually have a bit of a collection of manis now (post-break, ugh) that I need to blog about.

      Delete
  15. Seriously, I would have nail rage with that drawer. So sorry you had to nubbinize but I love what you did!!! Makes me want to go to Hawaii!! I love that Pueen plate too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was too devastated to even react! Lol. Thank you!! I felt so summery with this mani on!

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik