Monday, March 9, 2015

Doctor Lacquer Milky Way stamped with MPolish

If you follow me on IG (@dancers_polished_life) you already know that I've found my new favorite polish.  Oh, the stunner I have for you today!  Another thermal polish by Doctor Lacquer, this time from the SomethingSpatial: Galaxies collection, called Milky Way!  Hold onto your wallets, they will run from you screaming after this post!  ;-)

mpolish-snowberry
Doctor Lacquer Milk Way stamped with MPolish Snowberry and Black

Nothing to disclose

In my last post I told you I preordered some thermal polishes from Doctor Lacquer.  I ordered the whole SomethingSpatial: Stars collection, which consists of four tri-color thermal flakies polishes.  I've already written a post about Betelgeuse from the Stars collection (here), and I'll write more as I get to try the rest out.

The other collection that was just released was the SomethingSpatial: Galaxies collection, consisting of four colorshifting thermal polishes.  Sort of like a duochrome when cold.  Milky Way is one of the two I purchased from this collection.  I will hopefully use the other (called Andromeda) soon.

L-R: OPI Nail Envy, Doctor Lacquer Milky Way, MPolish Snowberry, MPolish black prototype, KBShimmer Clearly On Top, Pueen 59 stamping plate
Let's talk a bit about the formula and consistency of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way.  It is a little thin, so it took a bit of work to control, but it was easy to catch on after the first nail.  It was funny because I kept thinking I missed spots, when in reality, the polish was changing color almost as soon as I put it on my nail!  Because the warm shift is such a light pink, it blended in with my nails!

One coat of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way

After one coat you could still see VNL (visible nail line) so I decided to paint another coat.  Since I am okay with having VNL, I stuck with two coats since I thought three might be overkill.  I was not disappointed one bit by this polish.

doctor-lacquer-thermal-polish
Two coats of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way, no topcoat

Milky Way dries to a smooth, satin finish.  If I wasn't planning to stamp over this, I would leave it right here, without topcoat.  I was floored by the gorgeousness in this one polish!  Each layer dried really quickly too (not so much that I felt the need to move ridiculously quick) so you really don't need a quick dry topcoat if you are only planning to wear this polish by itself.


doctor-lacquer-thermal-polish
Doctor Lacquer Milky Way, two coats no topcoat
So, then I top coated it.  And WOW!!  Wow, those pink flakies came out to play!  They were just so blatant in the cold, purple shift, just as much as they were when they were warm!

Doctor Lacquer Milky Way, two coats with topcoat

I stamped with Pueen plate 59 from their Buffet set that I purchased on Amazon.  These plates are etched nicely and are lined on the back so you don't slice yourself.  I used my BPS XL squishy stamper when stamping with these plates.  I found my MoYou London marshmallow stamper to be too squishy for it.  It tended to distort the images.  I also found I got the best scrape when using my small MoYou London "best scraper," which came with my rectangular marshmallow stamper.


Pueen Buffet plate 59

I picked MPolish Snowberry for the stamping on my middle and ring fingers.  Snowberry is an amazing pearly white polish that truly stands out when paired with a dark polish.  I intended this to have a peekaboo effect when this mani was warm.  I was thrilled with the way this turned out.  

I stamped my index and pinky fingers with an MPolish black prototype.  It took a while to learn how to best use this polish. But once I found the best stamper/scraper/plate combination, I was golden.  This black is so opaque it stamped beautifully over the dark polish, and looked stunning over top the pink when the color shifted.  I can't wait to see what Megs releases once she perfects this black polish.


mpolish-snowberry
Cold state of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way stamped with MPolish Snowberry and a black prototype
mpolish-snowberry
Transition state of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way
mpolish-snowberry
Warm state of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way stamped with MPolish Snowberry and a black prototype
The transition was interesting on my Cindy hand, as you can see below.  My poor middle finger....  That bitch can't grow without breaking to save her life.  But the good thing about my Cindy hand is that I can practice what will work!  I used an image from my MoYou London plate to stamp my index finger on this hand.  I really like the stamp, but I didn't work quickly enough so I lost some of the detail.  It's still cute!

Cindy hand
As for the level of effort it took to make this polish shift, it was essentially effortless.  Seriously, it was constantly changing throughout the day depending on how cool the air was.  I splashed some water on my nails in the photo below and it changed!  I found that to be pretty cool.

Transition state of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way
mpolish-snowberry
Flash shot to show the pink flakies in the warm state of Doctor Lacquer Milky Way
Final thoughts on Doctor Lacquer Milky Way: Everyone should have this polish in their collection.  I urge you to check out the rest of their thermals here.  I'll be swatching the other polish I got in this collection soon.  Keep an eye out!


doctor-lacquer-milky-way-swatch
Macro of the pink flakies with the satin finish!

doctor-lacquer-milky-way-swatch
Macro shot of the top coated transition state

Are you feeling the "flakies of 2015?"  How about satin finish polishes?

44 comments:

  1. This is such a stunning mani! I want that Dr.L!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pish! I can't wait to try Andromeda too! It looks much shiftier than Milky Way.

      Delete
  2. I love how the transition on this thermal! I've been eyeing Doctor Lacquer''s themals for awhile but was waiting for more reviews. Glad to hear the formula is as great as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at just how easily this polish changed due to the temperature. Like I said, the formula was a little runny, so you just need to account for that so you don't flood your cuticles. Otherwise it's fantastic!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for so many gorgeous pictures of this! I really love the silver coloured stamping. The transition on this polish is awesome. I like to look at thermals that have a drastic colour change and yes, I'm feeling the flakies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, thank you for enjoying them!! =) I'm definitely feeling the flakies too! ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love the thermal effect and all the pics of its transition look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a great thermal, I haven't seen one in those shades before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely stuck out to me, I haven't either! Definitely unique!

      Delete
  6. Awesome. I am drooling over these polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. The Doctor Lacquer polish is stunning! I love the shift it has. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So elegant and beautiful, I love the look of that thermal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so in love with all the thermals released by Doctor Lacquer. The stamping you did over it is perfect too! So stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't thermals just the best?!!! I like flakies, but not satins, just not my thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are!! I was surprised how much I like this satin finish, I'm not usually a fan!

      Delete
  11. Lol at hold on to your wallets! I have to use that one. Youve told no lies though; it is indeed gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same issue with my middle finger, but unfortunately it's on my working hand. I still need to try thermals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, middle fingers, why????? Lol. Doctor Lacquer would be a great place to start with thermals. ;-)

      Delete
  13. This is so gorgeous! I love the pink flakies in the warm state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nadia! I agree, the pink flakies are so pretty!

      Delete
  14. Love Flakies and thermals! Satins are growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Amanda! I was definitely surprised at how much I liked the satin finish on this polish.

      Delete
  15. What a stunner! And I love the stamping over it. Beautiful mani!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't thermals fun!! I love doing nail art over them and yours is stunning. I love how it almost disappears at points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are!! Even after I removed this mani, I still look down expecting my polish to have changed colors, lol. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  17. I've been drooling over her thermals!! I absolutely love the stamping you did with it and how the nail transforms with the temperature!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and her packaging is adorable too! Combined with the quick shipping and her great interaction with her customers, I'm really fond of the brand and Angelyn herself! Thank you so much, Dani!

      Delete
  18. Wow, that's a beautiful thermal, and I love how you've stamped it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE Milky Way. :) Looks so pretty with the stamping too.

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik