Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hormonal Thermals? But of course!

Today I have a review of a thermal polish by Doctor Lacquer and some stamping over top!  Read on for more info and pics!

mpolish-stamping-polish
Doctor Lacquer Dopamine and MPolish Starflower

I've been itching to use all of my thermals before the really warm weather hits.  I have only used about a quarter of what I own.  >.<  I heard that the weather the next few days was going to be cooler, so naturally I reached for a Doctor Lacquer thermal.  I've really wanted to use this one for a while, so here is Dopamine by Doctor Lacquer!


Mini Mpolish is a gift.  All other polishes purchased by me.
I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

I started out with my usual base of Qtica Natural Nail Growth Stimulator topped with one coat of OPI Nail Envy.  I really feel like the Qtica is working!  I haven't really had many peelies lately and do you remember when I broke my middle fingernail?  Six weeks ago.  I had chopped all of my other nails too so it wouldn't be so obvious and I feel like they have been growing back nicely!  Win!  Now to find the best place to buy some more before I run out...  I have heard Ulta sells it, but mine doesn't.  :-(  I know I can order it through Zoya, but I'd rather not pay shipping if I can find it in a store.

L-R: Qtica Natural Nail Growth Stimulator, OPI Nail Envy, OPI Alpine Snow, Doctor Lacquer Dopamine, MPolish Starflower, MPolish prototype, KBShimmer Clearly On Top

In looking at swatches of Doctor Lacquer Dopamine, I've noticed it's not as opaque in some pics, but completely opaque and a bit darker in others.  I realized recently that some people use a white base under this.  Since I like my colors to pop, I decided to try it.  I used one coat of OPI Alpine Snow first, then topped it with one coat of Dopamine.  This was not my favorite formula.  I was actually disappointed in it.  It was very runny and hard to control, and while my white base was pretty dry, it was pulling it up and streaking it through the layers.

One coat of Doctor Lacquer Dopamine over white base

I topped it with another coat of Dopamine, but I probably should have gone with three coats, especially since you can still kind of see the white base through the layers.  I really didn't want to have to use three coats AND a white base, so I think this polish may visit my destash pile.  I love the blue shift, but realistically, thermals fade and you're left with the "cold" color, and I'm not terribly fond of this plum purple.  Not to mention I had to go fishing for the large circular glitter, even with the bottle turned upside down for a few hours before I started polishing.  It's a shame because I was really excited about this polish.

thermal-polish
Two coats Doctor Lacquer Dopamine over a white base, cold state

thermal-polish
Two coats Doctor Lacquer Dopamine over a white base, warm state

thermal-polish
Two coats Doctor Lacquer Dopamine over white base, transition state

I decided to play off the color-shift by using two different stamping polish colors.  I was hoping to achieve a disappearing stamp in both warm and cold states.  I think I somewhat achieved that goal.  I used MPolish Starflower on my middle two fingers, and a duochrome MPolish prototype over my index, pinky, and thumb nails.  Woah, duochrome stamping polish!  Check out the shift on my scraper when I was stamping!

MPolish duochrome prototype stamping polish

Blue shimmer in MPolish duochrome prototype stamping polish

So you can see the blue shift on my index and pinky fingers from the duochrome MPolish stamping polish, and when my nails are warm and Dopamine is blue, you can see the plum purple shift over the blue!  Neat!


Stamping over Dopamine, cold state

Stamping over Dopamine, warm state

And here are some macros of the MPolish prototype and Starflower over Doctor Lacquer Dopamine.  I stamped with Uber Chic Beauty plate 1-03 and a Creative Shop stamper.

MPolish duochrome prototype stamping polish


MPolish Starflower over Doctor Lacquer Dopamine (cold state)

What do you think?  Have you seen duochrome stamping polish before?  I think MoYou London has some, and I was in love when I saw theirs, but I'm happy to try one myself and it's also five-free!

29 comments:

  1. I love thermals, they are always so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love thermals too! It's funny when I'm not wearing a thermal polish and I keep expecting it to change under hot/cold water... Lol!

      Delete
  2. At least the color shift is cool on this one. I've been pretty happy with the brand's other polishes but skip the glitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I think it's still pretty, just not what I was expecting from the swatches I've seen. This is my first thermal with glitters, so I was excited to try it.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame you had problems with the glitter. I wore my first Doctor Lacquer thermal, Betelgeuse, this weekend and really liked it. On a happier note that M polish prototype looks very promising :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Betelgeuse! It's so pretty in both states. I hope MPolish releases the duochrome stamping polishes soon, they seem really neat!

      Delete
  4. Such a pity this polish let you down. The disappearing stamping is genius! The stamping polish looks very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually had to take a second look at my photos in the warm state because I thought I forgot to take a pic of the stamping!

      Delete
  5. I think what you achieved is gorgeous. The colors are beautiful together, and the swirls make it look like there is a breeze blowing the glitters around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love the way you saw this mani! So deep! =)

      Delete
  6. I love the shift! I have a few regular duo chromes that works for stamping and I really like stamping with them but I would love to see more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, that's a good point! I don't think I've tried stamping with any of my regular duos since I thought they'd be too sheer. I'll have to try it! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I really like the stamping on this one. What a cool idea for it to disappear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! I've seen the disappearing stamp concept on many different people, I've been itching to try it!

      Delete
  8. I love the invisible stamping part of thermal polish look. You did great job getting it work for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was excited it worked! ;-)

      Delete
  9. I haven't seen this kind of stamping before, but it is freakin' gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shawna! I've seen it around and have been wanting to try it for awhile!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Lol, yup... Unique. ;-) (shhh, it came off the next day.... haha!!)

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous! I love Doctor Lacquer so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roselynn! I typically do too! She does multichromes and thermals very well!

      Delete
  12. How pretty! I love thermals, but I'm so warm all the time they never really change much on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Savannah! I've been dying to go through them all before summer because of that reason!

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik