Friday, January 30, 2015

January BHB Mani Swap

Mani Swap with my nail thread buddy Scoutie!  You can find her on IG as @manimaninails.  Go check out her page, she's very talented and has some great video tutorials posted!

I chose to recreate her ruffian roses mani, but with a little twist of my own.  More pics and info after the jump!

Antique Style Roses in a Ruffian style mani


BHB Mani Swap, originals on left, recreations on right


Goodness my part of the photo in the grid is dark!  I really need to get a lightbox.

Anyway, I was in love with Jac's mini roses in a ruffian style.  I picked out colors I thought would be appropriate, only to realize that Zoya Jacqueline (hehehe, although not spelled the same) was a little more buff than I intended.  I went with it, and figured OPI Don't Speak 18k gold topper would complement it well.

L-R: OPI Nail Envy, Zoya Jacqueline, Zoya Savita, Zoya Anthea, Zoya Carey, Zoya Kierra, Zoya Veruschka, OPI Don't Speak, KBShimmer Clearly on Top

So I started with a base of two coats of Zoya Jacqueline.  This formula was pretty nice to work with, a little streaky on the first coat, but much better with a second thicker coat.

zoya-jacqueline-swatch
Zoya Jacqueline, two coats no topcoat

zoya-jacqueline-swatch
Zoya Jacqueline, two coats no topcoat

I dotted on the base of the roses in a ruffian-style manner, then used a medium striping brush to add detail to the roses.  I used only a teeny bit of polish on the brush for the detail.  This took much longer than I planned for, but I am not great at freehand art so I had to take it slow.  

Progress of my rose nail art

I used the same brush to add the leaves, although I did not grab another polish to highlight the leaves for better detail, so I need to remember that for next time I do roses.

ruffian-nail-art
Ruffian Style Roses

After I finished the roses, I dabbed on OPI Don't Speak gold topper on the tips of my nails, and then blended it down between the roses.  I didn't want to put it over the roses and I was actually thrilled with how it turned out.

ruffian-nail-art
Ruffian Style Antique Roses


Have you done any ruffian-style nail art?  Drop a link to your blog post, I'd love some more inspiration!

21 comments:

  1. I love this! I've never seen roses placed that way on the nail. It's a really pretty look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't take credit for the idea, I simply recreated it, but I love the way it looks too. =)

      Delete
  2. I'm planning to do some ruffians for V day :) your roses are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It's very pretty and feminine and I love how you added Don't Speak on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so classic elegant!! Reminds me of s Victorian Tea Room ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'd have the patience to do this mani. Props to you! The roses are so detailed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thank you, Katey! I typically don't freehand because I too lack patience!

      Delete
  6. Zoya Jacqueline is one of my fave nude kind of polishes. Love the way your roses came out. This is a lovely mani.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roselynn! It looks like a dupe for OPI My Vampire Is Buff, which I also have and love.

      Delete
  7. These are so pretty, I'd love to try something like this on my nails! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely! You both did a great job on the swap. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik